Summer Youth Employment Program
2018 SYEP – Registration period opening soon.
Check back later for more details and information.
The Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) is a locally funded initiative sponsored by the U.S. Department of Employment Services (DOES). The DOES webpage with information is: https://webapps.does.dc.gov/OYP/OYPHome.html. The Summer Youth Employment Program provides the District’s youth ages 14 – 24 with enriching and constructive summer work experiences through placement in private and government sector temporary positions.
SYEP provides young people with the opportunity to:
- Earn money and gain meaningful work experience;
- Learn and develop the skills, attitudes, and commitment necessary to succeed in today’s world of work;
- Gain exposure to various exciting career industries; and,
- Interact with dynamic working professionals in a positive work environment.
The 2017 SYEP started on Monday, June 6, 2017, and ended August 16, 2017. The six-week program consists of 29 days of work. If you need to access the SYEP portal, click here.
Conclusion of 2013 SYEP
SYEP 2013 Youth Orientation Video
Occupational Skills Training for D.C. Youth, ages 14 – 24 years old. CitiWide Computer Training Center is providing the following training to D.C. (click here to download):
1. Computer Information Technology (IT) IC3 Training – (40-120 HOURS)
- Computer Hardware: Computer parts, internal components, storage system, processor speed and memory, etc.
- Computer Software: Using operating systems, Word processing using Word, Spreadsheet, using Excel, Presentation using PowerPoint, Communication using Outlook, Surfing the web using the Internet.
- Living Online: Communications, Net+ Server, etc.
2. Health and Safety Training – (4.0 – 18 HOURS)
- First Aide
3. Workforce Development Training (20 – 75 HOURS)
- Interview skills
- Life skills
- Career development
- Internship Placement / Community Service
- Job Placement and on the job experience
- Financial Literacy
- Time Management, etc.
4. Education Enrichment (120-500 HOURS)
- Literacy improvement
- Numeracy improvement
Requirements: DC Youth/resident; 14-24 Years Old; Referred DOES/DYRS Clients.
- SYEP Citiwide Registration Form (pdf)
- Welcome and House Rules (.ppt)
- SYEP Youth Handbook (pdf)
- SYEP Supervisor Orientation (pptx)
- SYEP Supervisor Handbook (pdf)